Angel Food Cake
- ¾ C Grandpa's Kitchen Flour Blend
- 3 Tbsp corn starch
- 1¼ C granulated sugar
- 1¾ C egg whites, room temperature
- 1½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Move oven rack to lowest position
- In medium bowl stir together flour blend, corn starch, and ¾ c of the sugar. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed with wire whip attachment until foamy.
- Increase speed to high and beat until egg whites have doubled in volume and thickened. About 2 minutes.
- Beat in remaining 3/4 c sugar a little at a time on high speed, add vanilla with last addition of sugar, until stiff and glossy meringue forms. Do not under beat.
- Sprinkle sugar/ flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding in just until mixture disappears, transfer egg white mixture to a very large bowl if necessary.
- Spoon into ungreased 10 inch angel food (tube) cake pan. Gently tap pan on counter to remove large air bubbles.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when lightly touched. Do not under bake.
- Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof bottle or funnel until cake is completely cool, about 2 hours. Run knife or long metal spatula around edge of pan to loosen. Turn cake out onto serving platter. Use long, serrated knife to cut cake